Monday 25 July 2016

Something - Honey Lung


My girlfriend recently described someone she had just met by saying that he is "stuck in 2002: he wears converse, got kinda long hair and listens to guitar music". It made me chuckle. Ha! 2002, good one. I then thought, is guitar music (what I call a couple of dudes or dudettes rocking out with guitars) really something of a throw back or something that isn't popular music now? 

It reminded me of a guy I met in a queue once. He told me that despite what folks say about music being "dead" and that Bieber and his lot have placed the last log onto music's funeral pyre, just waiting for Gaga or Rebecca Black to do the deed and light a match, this geezer told me that now is the best age music has ever had. Bye bye 1969, roll over 1976, let yourself out 1984 because it is now, 2016, that is the best of times and probably, the worst of times. What with your Soundcloud, your Youtubes, ya iTunes and Spotify, hell, even The Irregular Riff, now you can find any obscure genre, 1970s hidden psychedelic gem or any band with a single released from their home studio in some woods in Sweden or indeed, a combination of all of those. All that from some throw away joke my girlfriend made. 


Honey Lung tick two of the boxes. Band with one single that you can stumble across on the internet - tick. A guitar band rockin' it large in 2016 - tick it. Another box they tick is the like one. The trio are about to release their debut single, Something through RYP Recordings. It's a good ol' swirling freak out at times; with loud wailing guitar swarming around you, held together by some solid, slamming drums. There are quieter moments which have some sweet Smiths like guitar but what hooks me in are the slurring, distant vocals that give everything a slouched, psychedelic feel and remind me of some of the heavier Shoegaze bands such as My Bloody Valentine, The Rain Parade or Splashh. Check out the video below and give them a follow over at their Facebook page. There's a single launch in London tomorrow on the 26th so get down for what'll probably be a sweaty gig full of people wearing converse with kinda long hair and listening to some pretty damn good guitar music. 



Honey Lung
Something
RYP Recordings
Download out: 29/07/2016 at iTunes   

No comments:

Post a Comment