Sunday 6 November 2016

Certainty - Temples


Temples released their debut album in 2014 and it was so good that I found it unlistenable. There are some cracking tracks on that album; Shelter Song is a glorious Summer wooze, Mesmerise has a riff so sharp you can carve your Sunday roast with it, Colours to Life is a forever cascading chorus crashing around my head. The list of superlatives goes on, yet I never bought the album nor listened to it further than two or three full play throughs. There was something missing to my ears. The album was a brilliant collection of songs, but a collection none the less. Something didn't bring those songs together to create a full body of work I wanted to listen through again and again, something I wanted to own and dedicate an evening to. It's odd but the fact that every song on the album could have been the lead single made it seem like a bit of a disjointed mess. 


    
Certainty has been chosen to be the lead single for Temples' upcoming LP, Volcano and it doesn't disappoint. There's been a musical shift and it is inevitably going to bring comparisons to Tame Impala, comparisons which I am not going to dwell on here because although they are justified, the move from rock to pop is not a rare one nor a sellout and Temples have done it their own way, no need to bring Tame Impala into things. 

It starts with a killer, if slightly corny, deep synth (bass?) riff before moving into a glowing realm of squelching synths and almost candy pop style vocals and instrumentation. Just wait for the chorus. It's a bombardment of high-pitched vocals, high-pitched synths, clunking drums - I love it! 

It's a great teaser for the album and I for one am looking forward to some psychedelic pop. I just hope that this album is not quite as good as the last...

Temples
Certainty
Heavenly
Certainty will be featured on the album, Volcano, available as a CD or Vinyl LP: 03/03/2017 at Heavenly 

No comments:

Post a Comment