Sunday 10 July 2016

Elafonissi Blue - GUM

- Hey dude.
- Oh hey, thanks for checking out the blog, needs all the help it can get these days.
- Ye sure. You know that the single Elafonissi Blue was released on GUM's album Glamorous Damage, in like, November of last year!
- Um, ye I did, ye.
- But, I'm pretty sure that this whole "Irregular Rift" thing...
- It's The Irregular Riff actually...
- I'm pretty sure you said it's only to look at upcoming releases?
- I might have said...
- Ye, here it is, "All the releases must be not available at the time of writing".
- Oh lord, you've gone back to the archives.
- Dude, you've got like 3 blog posts, just scroll down and read it! 
- Ye, so I can see how this might look like I'm breaking my own rules, but actually GUM and the super cool label he's on, Spinning Top Music, released a music video for Elafonissi Blue only recently on the 28th of June. Check it out, it's pretty funky: 




- But that's still in the past you idiot! Not upcoming in the slightest. Why you calling GUM a "he" anyway?
- GUM's the name for Jay Watson's solo project. He's a regular member with the awesome, mental psych band POND and he's a live member with Tame Impala. He's a pretty cool dude I think. I've seen him live with Tame Impala and Pond and he can rip it up on guitar or bust some sweet keyboard grooves and I'm pretty sure I saw a video of him wacking a drum, so a solo project makes sense.
- Oooh, get you being all relevant and seeing Tame Impala live! GUM's a stupid name. Does he just blow raspberries and put it onto vinyl or something. What a joke.
- Actually there's a lot going on with Elafonissi Blue. There are huge '80s vibes - I'm talking Pet Shop Boys, Prince and that sort of disco-funk from the likes of Cameo.
- Oh God, is this some sort of gay propaganda? 
- I'm going to ignore that. There's also hints of Dam Funk, Boards of Canada, College and lo-fi synth rock. It's got a banging chorus and it's just funky man, with some sweet swooshing synths and a driving bass line - it reminds me a bit of the College soundtrack to the film Drive but with a bit more mental fun attached.
- So it's a good song which came out ages ago. Why do you not write about Yellow Submarine then? Ey? This blog has gone to the dogs already. Is it even getting a physical release? I thought that was one of the blog criteria too?
- Well, it's already out on the excellent Glamorous Damage LP...
- From November last year? Did you create your silly little "word-art" thing and then realise it was already out? You did didn't you.
- No, I just thought that with the recent release of the music video I could share this really good...
- That's it isn't it! You know nobody actually cares about those word things anyway? They think it's weird. 
- Well, I...
- You're a joke mate. 
- Cheers, bye then.

GUM
Elafonissi Blue
Spinning Top Music
Vinyl LP out: NOW at Spinning Top Music  

No comments:

Post a Comment