Friday 22 July 2016

Nobody Can Live Forever - The Existential Soul of Tim Maia - Tim Maia


Some artists have a story which can be more infectious than their music. My true introduction to the classic rock band Cream was through the excellent documentary Beware of Mr Baker (2012), which documented the life of the band's drummer, Ginger Baker. Cream are an incredible group - with Clapton on guitar and Ginger on drums it was bound to be - but it's not the kind of music I lap up enthusiastically, playing on repeat until I know every slight key change, peddle press and bass tweak. But Ginger's story and character is so incredibly bold, brash and hedonistic, it becomes magnetic; pulling me in so I can learn more about the complex man who's true rock n' roll credentials are shown by the fact he's known by his first name; Ginger. It's a story of booze soaked violence, drugs, sex, crazy falling outs with his band mates, his label, his family. It's one of those true rock n' roll lifestyles which we all crave a little but most, like myself, are happy to live them vicariously through the true stars, ultimately being content with life as a lame office drone when we see the present day Ginger; grouchy, finding it hard to walk and living on a ranch in South Africa, penniless and having broken most of his friendships. Beware of Mr Baker is a great film and I think it's on Netflix and other such sites so do check it out. The trailer's enough to make me want to watch it again: 


It was a desire to be close to this character, even if sat in my bedroom, watching a Youtube video of Ginger doing a drum solo back in the '70s, that lead me to listen to Ginger's music. It's all very, very good, but it didn't totally grab me. It was Ginger himself who did that. I eventually saw Ginger playing live, playing the jazz music he talks about so passionately in the documentary. He had to have help walking to the drums but no help when playing them. He was brilliant, the band was brilliant, the sound was fantastic but I hadn't really gone for the music, but to see a bona fide rock and roll legend.

So is the case with Tim Maia. There's something about Maia's music which has always distanced me a little. I think it's his voice. It's deep and rounded and perhaps a bit too polished for my liking. The instrumentation is great, moving from funk to soul to pop, but it's not as good to my ear as that of another Brazilian super star, Marcos Valle. But Tim Maia sounds like he was a proper star. Watch the cool video to accompany this compilation to learn a bit more about this crazy cat;

  


The chubby, slightly nerdy looking Maia with his big afro, dodgy moustache and bad album covers, contrasted with the stories of his rock n' roll lifestyle, is enough to grab my attention. All that said, Maia's music is damn groovy, with some great horns and instrumentation and has a really great mix of American soul and the kind of Brazilian experimentation that is in much of the country's music in the 1970s. This compilation by Luaka Bop, the same guys who did the William Onyeabor compilation, is a great intro to the man's vast back catalogue and is getting a repress later this month. Check out one of the standout tracks, Bom senso, and let me know what you think. To my ears this track has a very Tom Jones feel. Nice. 
   
       
Tim Maia
Nobody Can Live Forever - The Existential Soul of Tim Maia
Luaka Bop
Double Vinyl Repress out: 22/07/2016 at Resident

No comments:

Post a Comment